Cold War and Beyond
You will each work with one partner to examine a place in the world where
the U.S. has intervened. You have been provided the start date of that
intervention and will trace the relations of the U.S. with that country to the
For your case study you must find AT LEAST the information that will
answer these questions:
- Who was the U.S. President when the intervention began?
- What goals or priorities of that administration prompted the
- Under what auspices, or with whom, did the U.S. carry out the
- What were some of the major historical events of the country prior to
the intervention (at least one decade beforehand)?
- How long did the U.S. intervention last? What occurred in that time
(number of casualties on both sides)?
- What were the immediate results of the intervention?
- How did it (has it) impacted the region?
- What is the country’s current status? What is its leadership? What is
its relationship with the United States?
When research and sharing is complete we will discuss these questions:
- Do you believe there are “universal American ideals”? Why or why not?
- Of the cases of United States’ intervention in foreign affairs that we
examined, which do you feel has had the greatest global impact or historical
significance, and why?
- Why is there still debate today over normalizing relations with Cuba
after so many decades and the continuation of the Castro family in power?
- Is it naive or misinformed of U.S. decision makers to believe that a
foreign culture, even one suspicious of the United States, will rally to
ideals that Americans consider to be universal? Consider the U.S. efforts to
Resource Collection to assist your examinations: